Best Beach Destinations in India (2022)
1. Varkala, Kerala
Varkala is a town, located in the state of Kerala. It’s on the Arabian Sea and well known for Varkala Beach, backed by palm-covered red cliffs. Further, it has some of the best pristine beaches, hills, lakes, forts, lighthouses, natural fisheries, and springs. However, the famous Varkala Beach counted as one of the top ten seasonal beaches in the world. The 2000-year-old Janardhanaswamy Temple along with the Sivagiri Mutt attracts more than hundreds of visitors every year. Thus, it is one of the most famous beach destinations to visit in India.
- Best time to visit: Throughout the year
- Popular beaches: Varkala Beach, Thiruvambadi Beach, Kappil Beach, Edava Beach, and Papanasam Beach.
Goa is a state in western India with coastlines stretching along the Arabian Sea. Famous for its beaches and places of worship. The Goa people are quite friendly towards tourists and travelers coming here. It has been a Portuguese territory for almost 450 years, the Portuguese architecture is nowhere as prevalent as in Goa. Apart from the golden sands, palm, and coconut trees, the beaches here are famous for hosting thrilling water sports and amazing late-night parties. Further, Goa is divided into two parts – North Goa and South Goa. While North Goa beaches are famous for water sports and adventure activities like parasailing, water skiing, and many more. South Goa beaches are the perfect location for luxurious resorts and laid-back beach vibes. Thus, Goa is one of the most popular beach destinations in the country.
- Best time to visit: October to March
- Popular beaches: Baga Beach, Calangute Beach, Benaulim Beach, Majorda Beach, Candolim Beach, Vagator Beach, Morjim Beach, Anjuna Beach, Ashvem Beach, Agonda Beach, Mobor Beach, Palolem Beach, Bogmalo Beach, and Butterfly Beach.
3. Gokarna, Karnataka
Gokarna is a town on the Arabian Sea, located in Uttara Kannada district in the state of Karnataka. Home to pristine beaches bordered by swaying palms and renowned Hindu shrines. Full of coconut and palm trees with clean sands and hence the beaches here are really beautiful. It is well known for its idyllic beaches and pristine waters. The Om beach in Gokarna is a perfect place to watch the beautiful sunrise and sunset views. However, the beaches like Kudle beach and Om Beach which are located outside the town show a different contrast to life inside the town. Thus, it is one of the Best Beach Destinations in India (2022).
- Best time to visit: October to May
- Popular beaches: Om Beach, Half Moon Beach, Kudle Beach, and Paradise Beach.
4. Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Andaman and Nicobar Islands, union territory of India, consisting of two groups of islands at the southeastern edge of the Bay of Bengal. These roughly 300 islands are known for their palm-lined, white-sand beaches, mangroves, and tropical rainforests. Havelock Island is one of the largest and the most popular islands of all Andaman & Nicobar Islands. Further, they have the most exotic beaches and some of them are also the best places for water sports activities like Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, Sea walks, etc. Thus, Andaman and Nicobar Islands are among the finest beach destinations in India.
- Best time to visit: October to March
- Popular beaches: Elephant Beach, Wandoor Beach, Radhanagar Beach, Aamkunj Beach, Laxmanpur Beach, Vijaynagar Beach, Kala Pathar Beach, Chidiyatapu Beach, and Bharatpur Beach.
5. Lakshadweep Islands
- Best time to visit: September to May
- Popular beaches: Minicoy Beach, Kadmat Beach, Kalpeni Beach, Agatti Beach, Kavaratti Beach, and Amini Beach.
6. Puri, Odisha
Puri is a coastal city, located in the state of Odisha. This city is famous for the world-famous Jagannath Temple and Longest Golden Beach. Moreover, Puri Beach is especially known for its wild waves. It is a thrilling place to view the sunrises and sunsets. This coastal temple town boasts a natural charm and is blessed with colorful and pristine beaches. Puri Beach is an all-time favorite destination for tourists. Thus, it is one of the popular destinations among travelers.
- Best time to visit: July to March
- Popular beaches: Golden Beach, Baliharachandi Beach, Swargadwar Beach, Chandrabhaga Beach, and Balighai Beach.
7. Kovalam, Kerala
Kovalam is a region in the city of Trivandrum in the state of Kerala. Famous for its beaches, among the most pristine in India. It attracts more than thousands of visitors every year. The largest beach in Kovalam is the lighthouse beach that features a 30-meter tall lighthouse. Further, Kovalam is also a good shopping destination there you can find rich spices, wooden statues, handicrafts, and many more things. The beaches offer the most mesmerizing views to the tourists. Thus, it is one of the most beautiful beaches to visit in India.
- Best time to visit: November to February
- Popular beaches: Hawa Beach, Vizhinjam Beach, Lighthouse Beach, Kovalam Beach, Samudra Beach, and Grove Beach.