Places to visit in Jaisalmer
1. Jaisalmer Fort
- Jaisalmer Fort is located in the city of Jaisalmer, in the state of Rajasthan. Due to its location at the golden stretches of the Thar Desert, so it’s popularly known as ‘Sonar Qila‘ or ‘Golden Fort‘. Built-in 1156 and gets its name from the former Bhati Rajput ruler Rao Jaisal. The walls of this 250 feet tall fort are made of crenelated sandstone. It ranks amongst the largest forts in the world. Further, it is believed to be one of the very few “living forts” in the world, as nearly one-fourth of the old city’s population still resides within the fort. However, this fort has witnessed several battles and has successfully endured its pride of being one of the magnificent forts in Rajasthan. Thus, it is one of the Best Tourist Places to visit in Jaisalmer.
2. Gadisar Lake
- Gadisar Lake is located in the Jaisalmer city of the state of Rajasthan. Built by the founder of Jaisalmer, King Rawal Jaisal, and later rebuilt by Gadsi Singh in the year around 1367 AD. The artistically carved entrance made of yellow sandstone offers a breathtaking view. This lake is an artificial lake. Situated close to the fort of Jaisalmer, this lake is an easy respite from the hot and dry desert climate. The best man-made water reservoir was once the only source of water in Jaisalmer. Hence, it is a popular picnic spot, owing to its cool and scenic surroundings and you can also choose to go boating as well. Therefore, the best time to visit Gadisar Lake is from November to March. The lake also serves as an ideal place for birdwatchers. Thus, it is one of the popular tourist places to visit in Rajasthan.
3. Sam Sand Dunes
- Sam Sand Dunes is located 45 kilometers west of Jaisalmer city, Rajasthan. Undoubtedly it is the ideal location for the Desert Safari and also Jeep safaris are available as well. Here, you find 30 to 60-meter tall sand dunes and many travelers enjoy Desert Safari. Further, camel safari, camping, paragliding, stargazing are some of the best things to be done here. This place is visited by more than a million travelers every year. Therefore, the best time of the day to visit is either during sunrise or during sunset. Thus, it is an offbeat natural tourist destination in Rajasthan.
4. Jain Temples
- Jain temples are situated in the Jaisalmer Fort, in the state of Rajasthan. There are a total of seven temples, each one sight of sheer greatness. All the seven temples are connected to each other and are built using the same golden-yellow Jaisalmeri stone. And these temples were built way back in the12th and 15th century, and are dedicated to various Jain Tirthankars (Hermits). Further, the temples are well known for their intricate carvings and attract many tourists and religious devotees. The temples are also known for their distinctive architectural style modeled after the Dilwara temple of Mt. Abu. Therefore, the best time to visit the Jain Temples is from October to March. Thus, it is a must-visit place in Jaisalmer.
5. Patwon Ki Haveli
- Patwon Ki Haveli is located in the state of Rajasthan. Built by a famous trader named Guman Chand and his sons. The entire construction is made of yellow sandstone. Locals also refer the haveli as Kothari’s Patwa Haveli. It consists of a museum having rare artifacts, furniture work, miniatures, mirror-work and a large collection of paintings. With over 60 balconies, the pillars and ceilings of this golden architecture are carved in intricate designs and miniature works. Therefore, it is one of the most famous places to visit in the Jaisalmer.