Tourist Places in Kanyakumari
1. Kanyakumari Beach
- Kanyakumari Beach is located in the southernmost part of India. Also known as Cape Comorin Beach. The golden sand beach at the banks of the glittering sea waters attracts tourists from all corners of the world. The beach is a confluence of three major water bodies – the Bay of Bengal, the Indian Ocean, and the Arabian Sea. However, here you can see that the water of these three seas does not mix with each other, the colors of the beach keep changing with the season and the weather. Further, being a rocky beach it is unsuitable for swimming but you can still enjoy the splashing waves with family and friends. Also, for a much better and beautiful view, you can climb atop the lighthouse present at the beach. The best time to visit Kanyakumari Beach is from November to March. Thus, it is one of the pristine tourist attractions in South India.
2. Vivekananda Rock Memorial
- Vivekananda Rock Memorial is located in Kanyakumari in the state of Tamilnadu. Built in 1970 in honor of Swami Vivekananda. It is said that Swamiji attained enlightenment at this place while sitting on a rock and meditating. The memorial consists of two main structures, the Vivekananda Mandapam and the Shripada Mandapam. Moreover, the design of these mandapa incorporates different styles of temple architecture from all over India. It is frequented by more than thousands of tourists. The sunset and sunrise views from the Vivekananda rock are really mesmerizing. There is a meditation hall inside than memorial called “Dhyana Mandapam” which serves as the meditation hall for the visitors to meditate. The best time to visit Vivekananda Rock Memorial is from October to March. Thus, it is one of the most popular places to visit in Kanyakumari.
3. Thiruvalluvar Statue
- The Thiruvalluvar Statue or the Valluvar Statue is located atop a small island near the town of Kanyakumari on the Coromandel Coast, where the Bay of Bengal and the Arabian Sea, and the Indian Ocean meet. It is a 41-meter-tall stone sculpture of the famous Tamil poet and philosopher, Thiruvalluvar. Further, he is the author of the Tirukkural and was considered to be one of the greatest Tamil poets in India. Thiruvalluvar Statue is one of the biggest in Asia and was unveiled on the 1st of January 2000. The status stands proudly on a 38-foot three-tiered pedestal. The pedestal depicts the 38 virtues of the preachings of Thiruvalluvar. Moreover, the premises of the statue also has a temple which is a small spot for meditation. The best time to visit Thiruvalluvar Statue is from October to March. Thus, it is one of the most beautiful places to visit in Kanyakumari.
4. Our Lady of Ransom Church
- Our Lady of Ransom Church is a Catholic church located in Kanyakumari in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. Built during the 15th century and is dedicated to Mother Mary. The church has brilliant Gothic architecture, with eye-catching carvings on the walls and ceilings. And also, it is believed that to represent the seven holy fruits, the church was designed to have seven doors. However, the main attraction of the church is the golden cross, present at the Central tower. This magnificent structure and its beauty attract more than thousands of visitors every year. The best time to visit Our Lady of Ransom Church is from November to April. Thus, it is a must-visit place in Kanyakumari.
5. Thirparappu Falls
- Thirparappu Falls is located in the Kanyakumari district in the state of Tamil Nadu. This manmade waterfall falls from a height of 50 feet. However, these falls are a unique combination of streams that flow together to form a magnificent waterfall. There is a small temple of Lord Shiva that marks the entrance towards the Falls. It is surrounded by dense trees and indigenous fauna hence making it a true paradise for nature lovers. Also, Thirparappu Falls is famous among photographers. The best time to visit Thirparappu Falls is from November to April. Thus, it is one of the Best Tourist Places in Kanyakumari.
6. Thanumalayan Temple Sthanumalayan Kovil
- The Thanumalayan Temple is located in Suchindram in the Kanyakumari district in the state of Tamil Nadu. Also called as Sthanumalayan Temple. Dedicated to the three Gods Shiva, Vishnu, and Brahma. There are about 30 shrines in the temple. The Thanumalayan Temple is one of the 108 shiva temples. The inscriptions on the temple walls and pillars dating back to the 9th century. This beautiful temple represents great architectural magnificence. Further, it also houses a beautiful 22 feet hanuman statue, which is one of the highest in the country. The best time to visit Thanumalayan Temple is from November to March. Thus, it is one of the most beautiful temples to visit in Kanyakumari.
7. Padmanabhapuram Palace
- Padmanabhapuram Palace is a Travancore-era palace located in Padmanabhapuram in the Kanyakumari district in the state of Tamil Nadu. Also known as Kalkulam Palace. Constructed in the 16th century by Iravi Varma Kulasekhara Perumal of the Travancore dynasty. Earthen lamps, ancient murals, intricate sculptures, ornate Belgian mirrors, and musical bows attract the visitor’s eyes. The palace has various sections, like Mantrasala, Thaikottaram, Nataksala, Central Mansion and Thekeekottaramr. Owned, controlled and maintained by the government of the neighbouring state of Kerala. The Durbar Hall is one of the key attractions inside the palace with its black shining floor and artistic carvings on the walls. Further, the fort also has a small museum that contains various artifacts from the older times and various weapons like swords and daggers, paintings, Chinese jars and a plethora of wooden furniture. The best time to visit Padmanabhapuram Palace is from October to March. Thus, it is one of the best historical places to see in Kanyakumari.