Pondicherry also called Pondy, is one of the seven Union Territories of India which is bounded by the southern state of Tamil Nadu. Hence, the most popular driving route from Chennai to Pondicherry runs along the Bay of Bengal coastline. Also, there are plenty of places to visit in Pondicherry. Thus, it is one of the Best Road Trip Places from Chennai.
- The best time to visit Pondicherry city is between October and March.
- Distance from Chennai: 170 km
- Places to visit: Paradise Beach, Aurobindo Ashram, Auroville, Serenity Beach, Arikamedu, lighthouse, Rock Beach, Varadaraja Perumal Temple, and Meeran Mosque.
Mahabalipuram is a town in Chengalpattu district in the state of Tamil Nadu. The drive from Chennai to Mahabalipuram through ECR (East Coast Road) is absolutely stunning. And also, it is an important place of classical Monuments in India, the monolithic and cave temples. However, it attracts a large number of visitors from all over the world.
- The best time to visit Mahabalipuram is during the winters, from the months of November to February. During this time, the conditions are just perfect for sightseeing and exploration.
- Distance from Chennai: 57 km
- Places to visit: Monuments at Mahabalipuram, Shore Temple, Pancha Rathas, Arjuna’s Penance, and Krishna’s Butter Ball.
Yelagiri hill station is located in Vellore district in the state of Tamil Nadu. And also, it is one of the well-known places for trekkers in India. However there is a wide range of things to do at Yelagiri hill station. Hence it is ideal for a peaceful holiday away from city life.
- People can visit throughout the year but the most visiting period of travelers is from November to mid-February.
- Distance from Chennai: 230 km
- Places to visit: Punganur Lake, Nature Park, Jalagamparai Falls, Telescope Observatory, Swami Malai Hills, and Yelagiri adventure camp.
Tranquebar is a beautiful town in the state of Tamil Nadu. Also known as Tharangambadi. Besides, it lies near the Kavery River. Further, it is a beautiful cultural and architectural mix of a range of different colonies. Moreover, this town is located about 283 km from Chennai. Therefore, the best route to take would be Chennai-Puducherry- Cuddalore – Tranquebar. Thus, Tranquebar is perfect to visit as part of a long trip
- The best time to visit is from December to March. The temperature varies between 25°C and 31°C.
- Distance from Chennai: 283 km
- Places to visit: Danish Museum, Fort Dansborg, The Town Gate, Old Danish Cemetery, Parade Ground, and Masilamani Nathar temple.
Munnar is a popular hill station of Kerala. Set at an altitude of 1600 meters. The best route for a road trip to Munnar from Chennai is to take a drive via Dindigul and Udumalai and reach Munnar. Further, the distance is almost 583 km and it takes around 11 hours to reach Munnar. Therefore it is a proper tourist hub with resorts and activities that have attracted visitors for decades.
- The best time to visit Munnar is from March to June, July to September, or November to February.
- Distance from Chennai: 583 km
- Places to visit: Eravikulam National Park, Kundala Dam & Lake, Attukal Waterfalls, TATA Tea Museum, Photo Point, Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary, Pothamedu View Point, Echo Point, Marayoor, Wonder Valley Amusement Park.
Coorg officially known as Kodagu is the most affluent hill station in Karnataka. Also called the “Scotland of India “. This place gives people several reasons to visit other than Abbey Falls or Madikeri Fort. And it is famous for coffee and spice estates, beautiful hills, temples, and the pleasuring weather. Therefore the best route to take would be Chennai – Bangalore – Mysore –Coorg. Coorg has a moderate climate, which makes every season a great season to visit.
- The best time to visit is from October to March.
- Distance from Chennai: 586 km
- Places to visit: Tadiandamol Peak, Abbey Falls, Mercara Gold Estate Coffee Plantation, Talakaveri, Brahmagiri Wildlife Sanctuary, River Rafting, Iruppu Falls, Dubare Elephant Camp, Raja’s Seat, Namdroling Monastery.
Kanchipuram is located in the state of Tamil Nadu. Also called the “Golden City” and “The City of Thousand Temples”. It is one of the most ancient cities in southern India. However, Kanchipuram is popular for its rich cultural heritage. Further, it attracts more than hundreds of tourists and devotees from all over the world. Thus, it is one of the best places to visit in Tamil Nadu.
- The best time to visit Kanchipuram is during the winter months.
- Distance from Chennai: 78 km
- Places to visit: Varadharaja Perumal Temple, Kamakshi Amman Temple, Kailasanathar Temple, and Devarajaswami Temple.
Kodaikanal is a hill station which is located in the Dindigul district in the state of Tamil Nadu. And also the local people call it as “Princess of Tamil Nadu’s hill stations”. Therefore, the pleasant, refreshing breeze blowing makes it perfect for sightseeing, trekking, cycling, boating, and other outdoor activities.
- The best time to visit Kodaikanal is between April and June.
- Distance from Chennai: 528 km
- Places to visit: Silver Cascade Falls, Kodaikanal Lake, Dolphins Nose, Bryant Park, Solar Observatory, suicide point , Pillar Rocks, Poombarai, Mannavanur, Coaker’s walk, and Pine Forest.
Madurai District is located in the state of Tamil Nadu. Famous for its temples built by Pandyan and Madurai Nayak kings in the Dravidian style of architecture. Further, Madurai is also famous for its food, cuisine, architecture, shopping, and endearing people. Then the road from the capital city Chennai to the temple town Madurai, the road is dot with several nature hotspots.
- The best time to visit Madurai is from December to February.
- Distance from Chennai: 462 km
- Places to visit : Madurai Meenakshi Amman Temple, Aayiram Kaal Mandapam, Alagarkoil Temple and Shrine ,Thirumalai Nayakar Mahal , Vaigai Dam, Pazhamudhir Solai, Gandhi Memorial Museum.
Ooty is a popular hill station located in the Nilgiri Hills in the state of Tamil Nadu. And also local residents call it “Queen of Hills“. Whereas the distance from Chennai to Ooty is 555.8 km that takes about 9 hours and 45 minutes, depending on the traffic on the highway. And the tea gardens, waterfalls, winding country lanes, botanical gardens, and charming colonial architecture makes Ooty the perfect respite for everyone. Thus, it is one of the beautiful hill station to visit in Tamil Nadu.
- The best time to visit Ooty is in the summer months between March and June.
- Distance from Chennai: 556 km
- Places to visit: Avalanche Lake, Pykara Falls, Doddabetta Peak, Lake, Botanical Gardens, Toy Train, Tea Museum, Mudumalai National Park, and Needle Rock view-point.