Road Trips To Take in Leh Ladakh
1. Rohtang Pass
Rohtang Pass, a high mountain pass on the eastern end of the Pir Panjal Range of the Himalayas, India. Set at a height of 3978 meters. Moreover, it is one of the highest passes in the Himalayas. Tourists can enjoy various adventure activities at Snow Point such as mountain biking, snow scooter, tire drop, and skiing. Hence, the pass remains closed during winters (from October) and generally opens again in May. Thus, it is one of the Best Road Trips To Take in Leh Ladakh.
- Distance: 412 km
- Best time to visit: May, June, September
- Places to visit: Nehru Kund, Vashisht Hot Water Springs, Marhi, and Hadimba Temple.
Manali is a tourist town in the mountains of Himachal Pradesh, India. The enchanted mountains, deep valleys, tall trees, misty mountains, dense forest offer stunning views, makes the journey more beautiful and enjoyable. Also it makes a perfect background for your memorable pictures. The road trip from Leh to Manali is quite scenic and picturesque with river Beas flowing along the way. Thus, it is one of the Most Interesting Road Trips to take in India.
- Distance: 428 km
- Best time to visit: October to February
- Places of attraction: Solang Valley, Manikaran Gurudwara, Jogini Waterfall, Hidimba Devi Temple, and Beas River.
3. Pangong Tso Lake
Pangong Tso Lake is an endorheic lake located in the Leh district, India. Situated at an elevation of 4,225 m. This lake is 5 km wide at its broadest point. Also known as Pangong Lake. Further, it is the world’s highest saltwater lake and so offers an amazing site for camping. A unique feature of the lake is that it does not remain blue throughout the year or even the day, rather it changes from light blue to green and grey. Hence, it is one of the Best Tourist Places to visit in Leh Ladakh.
- Distance: 223 km
- Best time to visit: May to September
- Places of attraction: Khardung La Pass, Thiksey Monastery, Spangmik village, and Hemis Monastery.
4. Khardung La Pass
Khardung La Pass is a mountain pass in the Leh district, India. Situated at an elevation of 18,380 ft. This pass is the gateway to the Shyok and Nubra valleys in the region of Jammu and Kashmir. Further, it is popular among adventure seekers. Khardung La Pass is one of the most difficult roads to pass. Moreover, in summer the roads are dry and less dangerous. It is surrounded by the most enchanting and unexplored landscapes. Thus, it is one of the highest motorable roads in the world.
- Distance: 40 km
- Best time to visit: April to September
- Places of attraction: Nubra Valley, Shyok Valley, and Stok Kangri.
The Lahaul district is located in the state of Himachal Pradesh. Before the Lahaul and Spiti districts were merged, Kardang was the capital of Lahaul, and Dhankar was the capital of Spiti. Lahaul boasts of scenic mountain villages, pristine mountain rivers, and medieval monasteries. And, it is the perfect destination for hiking, trekking, and adventure drives. Thus, the snow-covered mountains, lush green fields, milky white rivers and streams, placid lakes, mountain passes make it a picture-perfect location.
- Distance:40 km
- Best time to visit: May to October
- Places to visit: Tabo Monastery, Lahaul Valley, Keylong, Kunzum Pass, Langza, Kibber Village, Key Monastery, and Dhankar Gompa.