Best Road Trip Places in Tamil Nadu
1. Kolli Hills
Kolli Hills or Kolli Malai is a small mountain range located in the state of Tamil Nadu. Famous for its natural beauty. The mountains rise to 1300 m in height. Therefore, the best route to take is from Salem – Rasipuram – Kolli Hills. Further, the range is also famous for its 70 hairpin bends. Thus, it is one of the most adventurous road trips to take in Tamil Nadu.
- The best time to visit Kolli Hills is March-June or August-December.
- Distance: 62 km
- Places to visit: Siddhar Caves, Masilla falls, and Namma Falls, Selur viewpoint, Agaya Gangai Waterfalls, Arapaleeshwarar Temple, Boat House, and Botanical Gardens.
2. Chennai to Kanyakumari
Kanyakumari is a coastal town in the state of Tamil Nadu. And also, it makes for an ideal destination for all those who love travelling. There are numerous things to do in Kanyakumari. Thus, the road starts at Chennai and travels along the Bay of Bengal up to Kanyakumari. Thus, it is one of the beautiful places to visit in Tamil Nadu.
- The best biking season is from December to January.
- Distance: 706 km
- Places to visit : Thirparappu Falls , Kanyakumari Beach , Vivekananda Rock Memorial, Thanumalayan Temple, Olakaruvi Falls, Sunset View Point, and Padmanabhapuram Palace.
Kodaikanal is a hill station, located in Dindigul district in the state of Tamil Nadu. And also, affectionately called the “Princess of Tamil Nadu’s hill stations”. The pleasant surrounding, refreshing breeze blowing makes it perfect for sightseeing. Further, it also offers various adventure activities like trekking, cycling, boating, and so on. Thus, it is one of the famous hill stations to visit in Tamil Nadu.
- The best time to visit is between April and June as the temperature ranges between 30ºC to 20ºC.
- Distance: 528 km from Chennai
- Places to visit: Silver Cascade Falls, Lake, Dolphins Nose, Bryant Park, Solar Observatory, Pillar Rocks, Poombarai, Mannavanur, Coaker’s walk, Pine Forest, Kukkal caves, Vattakanal Falls.
4. Ooty to Mudumalai
Mudumalai is located in the Nilgiri Mountains in the state of Tamil Nadu. It is mainly famous for the Mudumalai National Park and the Mudumalai tiger reserve. Then while travelling to Mudumalai you can enjoy the wonderful chance to witness wildlife closely. Mudumalai national park has good population of animals and birds. Therefore, from Ooty to Mudumalai via Kalhatti ghat road forest with 36 hairpin bends. And also you can see elephants, birds, bison and many more things on the way.
- The best time to visit Mudumalai is from October to May.
- Distance: 46 km
- Places to visit: Maravakandy Dam, Mudumalai Wildlife Sanctuary, Jungle Safari, Moyar River, and Theppakadu Elephant Camp.
Pondicherry ( also called Pondy) is one of the seven Union Territories of India. There are plenty of places to visit in Pondicherry. Further, the most popular driving route from Chennai to Pondicherry is the picturesque East Coast Road (ECR) that runs along the Bay of Bengal coastline. Therefore, Pondy is one of the most popular destinations for bikers.
- The best time to visit Pondicherry city is between October and March.
- Distance: 170 km from Chennai
- Places to visit: Paradise Beach, Aurobindo Ashram, Auroville, Serenity Beach, Arikamedu, lighthouse, Rock Beach, Ousteri Lake, and Varadaraja Perumal Temple.
Nagalapuram is located in the Chittoor district of the state of Andhra Pradesh. It is very well known trekking destination all over the country. However, many tourists spare a day for camping in the serene environment of Nagalapuram. Thus, it is one of the best road trip places in Tamil Nadu.
- The best time to visit Nagalapuram is from January to February.
- Distance: 80km from Chennai.
- Places to visit : Vedanarayana Swamy Temple, and Nagalapuram falls .
7. Velankanni to Rameshwaram
Rameswaram is a town on Pamban Island, in the state of Tamil Nadu. Separated by a small Pamban channel from Sri Lanka. And also, a popular pilgrimage destination. Believed to be the place from where Lord Rama started his journey to get his wife Sita back from Ravana. Further, the town connects to the rest of the country through the famous Pamban channel. Thus, it is one of the important places to visit in Tamil Nadu.
- The best time to visit Rameshwaram is from October to April.
- Distance: 256 km
- Places to visit: Rameshwaram Temple, Dhanushkodi Temple and Beach, Jatayu Tirtham, Agnitheertham, and Pamban bridge.
Kumbakonam is a town in the Thanjavur district of Tamil Nadu. Also known for its temples and monasteries. Further, the temples and the famous festival of Mahamaham are the most important things that tourists look forward to while visiting this town. Thus, it offers some of the best opportunities for road trips from Chennai.
- The best time to visit Kumbakonam is from December to February.
- Distance: 293 km from Chennai.
- Places to visit: Adi Kumbeswarar Temple, Nageswaran Temple, Raja Raja Cholan’s Memorial, Mahamaham Tank, Sarangapani Temple.
9. Coimbatore to Ooty
Ooty is a popular hill station located in the Nilgiri Hills in the Tamil Nadu state. And also local residents call it “Queen of Hills“. However, the surrounding tea gardens, waterfalls, winding country lanes, botanical gardens, and charming colonial architecture makes Ooty the perfect hloiday destination for everyone. Therefore, the best route to take is Coimbatore- Mettupalayam- Kallar- Burliar- Coonoor- Ooty. Thus, it is one of the best places to visit in Tamil Nadu.
- The best time to visit Ooty is in the summer months between March and June.
- Distance: 85 km
- Places to visit: Avalanche Lake, Pykara Falls, Doddabetta Peak, Lake, Botanical Gardens, Toy Train, Deer Park, Tea Museum, Emerald Lake , Mudumalai National Park.
Yelagiri hill station is located in the district of Vellore in the state of Tamil Nadu. It is one of the well-known places for trekkers in India. And also, there is a wide range of things to do at Yelagiri. Hence, it is ideal for a peaceful holiday away from city life. Therefore, the highway leading up to Yelagiri is really very beautiful. Thus, it one of the best road trip destination from Chennai.
- The best time to visit is from November to mid-February.
- Distance: 230 km from Chennai.
- Places to visit: Punganur Lake, Nature Park, Jalagamparai Falls, Telescope Observatory, SwamiMalai Hills, Velavan Temple, Yelagiri adventure camp, and Amirthi Zoological Waterfalls.