1. Nathu La Pass
- Nathu La is a mountain pass between China’s Yadong County in Tibet, and the Indian states of Sikkim and West Bengal. It is bestowed with natural beauty and stunning scenic views. Located at a height of 4310 m above sea level. This beautiful pass can simply be enjoyed by hiking or driving around it leisurely. Further, Nathu La pass has one of the highest motorable roads in the world which makes it the most popular adventure destination. The temperature here remains low for most parts of the year, and it becomes a hotspot for tourists during summer. Therefore, the best time to visit Nathula Pass is from May to October. Also, the pass remains closed on Monday and Tuesday every week. Thus, it is one of the most popular places to visit in Gangtok.
2. Rumtek Monastery
- Rumtek Monastery is located in Gangtok in the state of Sikkim. Also called the Dharma Chakra Centre. It is situated at an altitude of 5,500ft above sea level. It belongs to the Kargyu sect of Buddhists who originated in Tibet in the 12th century. The architecture of the place is also a major attraction. Built in the classical Tibetan gompa style and is three storeys high. This ancient monastery is known for being one of the world’s finest architectures. Also, it stands beautifully against the backdrop of majestic hills and hence offers mesmerizing views of the surroundings. Currently, Rumtek Monastery is the largest in the Sikkim state. Home to the community of monks and where they perform the rituals and practices of the Karma Kagyu lineage. Therefore, the best time to visit Rumtek Monastery is from June to September. Thus, it is one of the most important places to visit in Gangtok.
3. MG Road
- Mahatma Gandhi Road is the main pedestrian road located in downtown Gangtok in the state of Sikkim. This buzzing market is home to a number of shops, some of which have been there for decades along with many restaurants, cafes, and souvenir stores. The buildings on both sides are painted green in line with the government’s green initiative. The entire area is free of smoke, litter, and vehicular traffic. This place is also famous for the Gangtok Food and Culture Festival. Further, MG Road is an open mall or boulevard square which is widely regarded to be the town center and is the best shopping destination for tourists. The two of the most popular ones are 9INE Native Cuisine and Bakers Cafe on MG Marg. It is the central shopping hub of the Sikkim state. Therefore, the best time to visit MG Road is from March to June. Thus, it is one of the Best Tourist Places to visit in Gangtok.
4. Tsomgo Lake
- Tsomgo Lake is a glacial lake, located in the East Sikkim district of the state of Sikkim. Situated at an elevation of 3,753 m above sea level. The unparalleled beauty of the site is absolutely mesmerizing. A striking feature of the lake is that it changes color with every season. However, the lake remains frozen during the winter season. The blue waters of the lake reflecting the grandiose peaks of the Himalayas make for a spectacular sight. Further, the lake has been considered holy and has been worshipped by the Sikkimese people for years. Therefore, the best time to visit Tsomgo Lake is from October to December. Thus, it is one of the beautiful places to visit in Gangtok.
5. Seven Sisters Waterfalls
- Seven Sisters Waterfalls is situated at a distance of 32 kilometers from Gangtok on the Gangtok-Lachung Highway of Sikkim. The water falls from a height of 315 meters. It passes through the green vegetation onto the rugged cliffs and falls on the limestones making a roaring sound. However, Seven Sisters Waterfalls is one of the tallest waterfalls in India. The waterfalls get illuminated by the sun and the vibrant colors of the setting sun on the waterfalls make it more beautiful. It is famous among photographers, nature lovers, and picnickers. A ropeway near the waterfall is a good place to enjoy the falls from up close. Further, it is interesting to note that as this waterfall plunges down in seven stages, it derived its name from this fact. Therefore, the best time to visit Seven Sisters Waterfalls is from May to July. Thus, it is one of the must-visit places to visit near Gangtok.