Best Road Trips to Take in Maharashtra
1. Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar
Mahabaleshwar is a hill station in the state of Maharashtra. And also, one of the most popular tourist destinations in India. Further, Mahabaleshwar is famous for its strawberries. Therefore, the best route is from Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar is through NH 4. Then this will cover various other places on the way, which include Pune, Surur and Panchgani. But the drive up the hill presents some amazing views. Thus, it is one of the Best Road Trips to Take in Maharashtra.
- Best time to visit Mahabaleshwar is from March to June.
- Distance: 264 km
- Places to visit: Elephant’s Head point, Chinaman’s falls, Dhobi Waterfall, Arthur’s seat, Pratapgad, Lingamala Falls, Mapro Garden, Lodwick Point, and Mahabaleshwar Temple.
2. Lonavala/ Khandala
Lonavala is a hill station, located in the Pune district in the state of Maharashtra. Also known as the “city of caves” and the “Jewel of Sahyadri”. Lonavala is also famous for its natural wonders, religious attractions, and historical sites. Further, Khandala is only 5 km away from Lonavala. And it houses a number of historic forts, deep valleys, lakes, and waterfalls. Thus, it is one of the weekend trip destinations in Maharashtra.
- Best time to visit Lonavala and Khandala are from June to September.
- Distance: 85 km from Mumbai
- Places to visit: Della Adventure Park, Narayani Dham Temple, Lohagad Fort, Pavana Lake, Tikona Fort, Rajmachi Fort, Visapur Fort, and Bedsa caves.
Panchgani is a hill station in the state of Maharashtra. And also, popular for the Table Land. Further, it was named after the five majestic hills enclosing it. Therefore, Panchgani makes for a renowned hill station in Maharashtra. And this hill station is surrounded by beautiful mountains, valleys, cascading waterfalls, and dense forests. Thus, Panchgani makes the best choice for road trips.
- Best time to visit Panchgani is from September to May.
- Distance: 245 km from Mumbai.
- Places to visit: Kaas Plateau, Table Land, Mahabaleshwar, Kate’s Point, Mapro Garden, Dhom Dam, Lingmala Falls, Pratapgad Fort, and Panchgani Point.
Goa is a state in India with coastlines stretching along the Arabian Sea. Popular for its shopping, nightlife, architecture, beaches, and water sports. Further, it is considered to be one of the most favorite destinations among Indian tourists. Therefore, the road trip from Mumbai to Goa is popular amongst the youth. Thus, Goa is one the famous places in visit in India.
- Best time to visit Goa is from November to February.
- Distance: 567 km from Mumbai.
- Places to visit: Baga Beach, Calangute Beach, Church of Our Lady Of Hope, St. Alex Church, Mangeshi Temple, Tito’s Street, Arambol Beach, and Reis Magos Fort.
Alibaug is a small coastal town in the Konkan region in the state of Maharashtra. Known for its beautiful beaches and ancient forts. However, it is a pretty crowd destination on the Mumbai–Goa highway. And also, there are many popular beaches like Alibag Beach and Varsoli Beach. Thus, Alibaug is one of the most popular places near Mumbai.
- Best time to visit Alibaug is from November to March.
- Distance: 96 km from Mumbai.
- Places to visit: Alibaug Beach, Murud Janjira Fort, Kihim Beach, Kolaba Fort, Nagaon Beach, Kanakeshwar Forest, and Khanderi Fort.
Pune is a sprawling city, located in the state of Maharashtra. It has long been a major educational and cultural center. And also former Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru referred to it as the “Oxford and Cambridge of India.” Moreover, Pune is one of the top “automobile and manufacturing hubs of India“. Therefore, the road trip from Mumbai through Mumbai–Pune Expressway offers a scenic view of the Western Ghats. And these long tunnels make this an amazing road trip from Mumbai.
- Best time to visit is from October to February.
- Distance: 148 km from Mumbai.
- Places to visit: Shaniwar Wada Palace, Parvati Hill, Aga Khan Palace, Vetal Tekdi, Pashan Lake, Shinde Chhatri, Osho Ashram, and Dagdusheth Halwai Ganapati temple.
7. Kashid to Tarkarli
Tarkarli is a village in the state of Maharashtra. It consists of mesmerizing backwaters, stunning white-sand beaches, and serene temples. And also, Tarkarli is an off-beat weekend destination where you can wind your way through hidden gems on the coastline of Maharashtra. Therefore, Tarkarli is the only place for scuba diving and snorkeling training in Maharashtra.
- Best time to visit Tarkarli is from October to March.
- Distance: 135 km
- Places to visit: Tarkarli Beach, Karli backwaters, Deobagh, Tarkarli Beach, Dhamapur Lake, Sindhudurg Fort, Kolamb Beach, ShreeShiv Chhatrapati Temple, and Achra Beach.
Igatpuri is located in the Nashik district in the state of Maharashtra. It is a tiny hill station that presents a splendid view in the monsoon season. Hence, it is considered to be one of the most preferred weekend destinations for many people in Maharashtra.
- Best time to visit Igatpuri is from June to February.
- Distance: 121 km from Mumbai.
- Places to visit: Tringalwadi Fort, Vihigaon Waterfall, Vaitarna Dam, Vipassana Centre, Kalsubai Peak, Ghatandevi Mandir, Camel Valley, and Bhatsa River Valley.
Gokarna is a town in the state of Karnataka. There are several beaches, pilgrimage sights, and waterfalls in Gokarna. Moreover, it is considered to be a favorite spot among travelers who seek a peaceful vacation. Further, it offers various watersport activities like surfing, scuba diving, parasailing, and jet skiing. Thus, it is one of the amazing places to visit in India.
- Best time to visit Gokarna is from October to February.
- Distance: 687 km from Mumbai.
- Places to visit: Om Beach, Mahabaleshwara Temple, Paradise Beach, Gokarna, Kudle Beach, Koti Teertha, and Shiva Cave.
10. Mount Abu
Mount Abu is located in the Sirohi District in the state of Rajasthan. Its cool and pleasant climate makes an ideal retreat for tourists. And the ride will be beautiful and it will take you to the only hill station of Rajasthan. Therefore, the destination will offer you a delightful switch from the culture and landscapes of Maharashtra and Rajasthan. Thus, it
- Best time to visit Mount Abu is from July to February.
- Distance: 753km from Mumbai.
- Places to visit: Nakki Lake, Guru Shikhar, Toad Rock, Mount Abu Wildlife Sanctuary, Dilwara Temples, Trevor’s Tank, and Sunset Point.