Tourist Places in Wayanad
1. Banasura Sagar Dam
- Banasura Sagar Dam is located in Wayanad in the state of Kerala. And also known as Kuttiyadi Augmentation Main Earthen Dam. The dam is at a height of 38.5 meters. Banasura Sagar Dam is created by placing materials of clay, sand, rock, or soil. The background view of the islands with the Banasura hills is mesmerizing. Adventure activities like speed boating and trekking are also available here. Further, it is the largest earth dam in India and the second largest in Asia. Moreover, many tourists arrive at the dam to enjoy its beautiful view and take photographs. The best time to visit the Banasura Sagar Dam is from November to May. Thus, it is one of the Best Tourist Places in Wayanad.
2. Edakkal Caves
- Edakkal Caves is located in Wayanad in the state of Kerala. There are two natural caves at a remote location, from the Neolithic man. Further, the Stone Age carvings of Edakkal are rare and are the only known example at Edakkal, 25 km from Kalpetta. Inside the caves are pictorial writings believed to date to at least 6,000 BCEes from South India. The clarity of the carvings is even more surprising given the duration they have survived. The Edakkal Caves are famous for their paintings of figures like humans, animals, symbols, and so on. Therefore, the best time to visit the Edakkal Caves is from June and July. Thus, it is one of the Amazing Places to visit in Wayanad.
3. Kuruva Island
- Kuruvadweep or Kuruva Island is located in Wayanad in the state of Kerala. Spread over 950 acres in area and also surrounded by River Kabini and other streams. This island is located very close to the state border of Karnataka. It is an uninhabited island, which is home to rare species of birds, orchids, herbal plants, etc. Recently, it was named as the most visited place in the district by tourists from all over the globe. These islands consist of dense and evergreen forest that is uninhabited. Hence it is home to rare kinds of flora and fauna, endemic species of birds, and herbs. Its unique surroundings make it a beautiful place but its silence is also evergreen. The best time to visit Kuruva Island is from October and May. Thus, it is one of the beautiful places to visit in Wayanad.
4. Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary
- The Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary is an animal sanctuary located in Wayanad District in the state of Kerala, India. Established in the year 1973 and is now an integral part of the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve. Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary is the second largest wildlife sanctuary in Kerala. It is bestowed with lush green forests and rich wildlife. This wildlife area houses some of the rare and endangered species of both flora and fauna. Here we can see a variety of wild animals such as Indian bison, elephant, deer, and tiger. Further, Tourists can also indulge in various activities like bird watching or trekking in the forest. It is surrounded by the protected areas of Mudumalai in Tamil Nadu as well as Nagarhole and Bandipur in Karnataka. Thereofore, the best time to visit Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary is from August to February.
5. Chembra peak
- Chembra Peak is a mountain located in the state of Kerala. Set at a height of 2,100 m above sea level. It is the highest peak in the Wayanad hills and one of the highest peaks in the Western Ghats. More than hundreds of tourists visit this place every year. Further, it also offers an unparalleled view of Banasura Sagar Dam surrounded by the majestic tea plantations located along the foothills of Chembra Peak. Therefore, the best time to visit Chembra peak is from September and March. Thus, it is one of the popular places to visit in Kerala.