- Shillong is a hill station in the state of Meghalaya. Also called “Scotland of the East“. Set at an altitude of 1,491m above sea level. Then the word Shillong means “The Abode of Clouds“. Further, it is known for its picturesque sights and traditions. Apart from its natural beauty, it also acts as the gateway to Meghalaya, famous for heavy rainfall, caves, tallest waterfalls, beautiful landscapes, and culture. More than thousands of tourists come to this place every year. Therefore, the best time to visit Shillong is from September to May. Thus, it is one of the Best Places to visit in Meghalaya.
2. Mawlynnong Village
- Mawlynnong is a village in the state of Meghalaya. It is located about 92 km from Shillong. This village is notable for its cleanliness. And also known as Asia’s cleanest village. It offers the most picturesque view with green valleys, crystal clear water in the river, flowering hanging from the trees, and clean roads which make this small village a worth visiting destination for the tourists. Further, the village encourages rainwater harvesting and bans the use of plastic and the practice of smoking. The best time to visit Mawlynnong Village is from March to June. Thus, it is one of the Most Beautiful Places to visit in Meghalaya.
3. Double Decker Living Root Bridge, Cherrapunji
- Double Decker Living Root Bridge is located in the thick tropical forest of Cherrapunji in the state of Meghalaya. This bridge is 3 kilometers long and placed at a height of 2400 feet. Moreover, the Umshiang River flows beneath the bridge. Though there are many living root bridges in Meghalaya and believed that some of them are over 500 years old, this double-decker one shows its distinct popularity. These double-decker living root bridges are 2 bridges that are stacked one on the other, because of the entanglement of roots. The best time to visit Double Decker Living Root Bridge is from March to June. Thus, it is one of the unique attractions to visit in Meghalaya.
4. Elephant Falls
- The Elephant Falls is a two-tier waterfall in Shillong in the state of Meghalaya. The mountain stream descends through two successive falls set in dells of fern-covered rocks. And, it is a 3-tiered waterfall situated in the middle of a refreshing lush green forest. Further, the noise of this crashing of crystal clear water with the solid rocks, however ironical it may sound, feels soothing. More than hundreds of tourists come to this place every year. The best time to visit Elephant Falls is from January to April. Hence, it is one of the most visited falls in the state of Meghalaya.
5. Umiam Lake
- Umiam Lake is a reservoir in the hills of Shillong in the state of Meghalaya. And was created by damming the Umiam River in the early 1960s. The Umiam lake covers an expanse of 221 sq. km. This scenic lake is encircled by lush green East Khasi hills that form one of the best panoramic sights for nature-lovers in the country. Here you can also indulge in various water-based activities like boating, yachting, and skiing. The best time to visit Umiam Lake is from October to May. Undoubtedly, it is one of the best tourists places to visit in Meghalaya.