Shillong is a hill station and the capital of Meghalaya. And also called “Scotland of the East“. Set at an altitude of 1,491m above sea level. Then, the word Shillong means “The Abode of Clouds”. Further, it is known for its picturesque sights and traditions. Apart from its natural beauty, it also acts as the gateway to Meghalaya, famous for heavy rainfall, caves, tallest waterfalls, beautiful landscapes, and culture. Thus, it has really stunning natural beauty and everywhere lush green forests that you wouldn’t find anywhere else in the world.
- Best time to visit: September and May.
- Distance: 99 km from Guwahati
- Places to visit: Mawphlang Sacred Forest, Umiam Lake, Laitlum Canyons, and Elephant Falls.
Cherrapunji is located in the state of Meghalaya. They call it one of the wettest places on Earth because Cherrapunji records the highest density of rainfall in its area throughout the year. One of the famous tourist spots “Double Decker Living Root Bridge” is located in the thick tropical forest of Cherrapunji, Meghalaya. This bridge is 3 kilometers long and placed at a height of 2400 feet. Though there are many living root bridges in Meghalaya and believed that some of them are over 500 years old, this double-decker one shows its distinct popularity.
- Best time to visit: October and February
- Distance: 55 km from Shillong
- Places to visit: Double Decker Living Root Bridge, Nohkalikai Falls, Mawsynram Village, Mawsmai Cave, and Seven Sisters Falls.
Mawlynnong is a village in the state of Meghalaya. This village is notable for its cleanliness. And also known as Asia’s cleanest village. It offers the most picturesque view with green valleys, crystal clear water in the river, flowering hanging from the trees, and clean roads which make this small village a worth visiting destination for the tourists. Further, the village encourages rainwater harvesting and bans the use of plastic and the practice of smoking. Thus, it is one of the Best Road Trip Places in Meghalaya.
- Best time to visit: March to June
- Distance: 92 km from Shillong
- Places to visit: Mawlynnong waterfall · Jingmaham Living Root bridge, Brun Khongmen View Point, and Balancing Rock.
Jowai is located in the West Jaintia Hills district of the state of Meghalaya. Due to its high altitude of 1365 m above sea level, Jowai experiences warm summers with cool to chilly winters. It is famous for its bucolic setting and breathtaking views with the perfect mix of heritage and culture. Further, it is an important business and education hub for the entire district. Hence, on the way you can see many beautiful sightseeing spots, this lovely town is a must-visit place for tourists coming to Meghalaya.
- Best time to visit: March to May
- Distance: 63 km from Shillong
- Places to visit: Tyrshi Falls, Krang Suri Falls, Bophill Falls, Nartiang Monoliths, and Durga Temple.
5. Kyllang Rock
Kyllang Rock is located at Mawshut in the West Khasi Hills district of Meghalaya. It is a massive red granite dome-shaped rock. Kyllang Rocket is set at a height of 5400 ft above sea level and has a width of around 1000 feet and seems beautiful in its shape. It would be a travesty to visit this majestic natural formation without unearthing the legend that the Khasis have built around it. Thus, it is one of the unique tourist places to visit near Shillong.
- Best time to visit: October to April
- Distance: 58 km from Shillong
- Places to visit: Khasi Hills, Lum Kyllang, and Mawthadraishan Peak.