Places to visit in Thanjavur
1. Brahadeshwara Temple
- Brahadeshwara Temple is located on the South Bank of the Cauvery river in Thanjavur in the state of Tamil Nadu. Locally known as Thanjai Periya Kovil, and also called “The Big Temple”. Built by King Raja Raja Chola I between 1003 and 1010 AD. Dedicated to Lord Shiva, the architecture of the temple is made up of hundreds of lingams are carved onto the stone structure. This masterpiece is a UNESCO World Heritage Site in Thanjavur. However, it is the first complete granite temple in the world. Around 60,000 tons of granite is said to be used to build the temple. The statue of Nandi the Bull welcomes the visitors at the entrance. Further, this Big Temple is the only temple in Thanjavur with no shadow. This temple attracts more than thousands of tourists every year. Therefore, the best time to visit Brahadeshwara Temple is from November to February. Thus, it is one of the Best Places to visit in Thanjavur.
2. Airavateshwara Temple
- Airavateshwara Temple is located in Thanjavur District in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. Built by Rajaraja Chola II in the 12th century CE. Along with the other temples in Thanjavur, the Airavateshwara temple is considered to be one of the greatest living Chola temples. This beautiful temple attracts a large number of devotees every year. Also, it is one of the finest examples of the Dravidian style of architecture. The temple consists of intricate sculptures on the walls that resemble Hinduism traditional art and architecture. Therefore, the best time to visit Airavateshwara Temple is from October to March. Thus, it is one of the beautiful Temples to visit in Thanjavur.
3. Gangaikonda Cholapuram
- Gangaikonda Cholapuram is located in the Ariyalur district in the state of Tamilnadu. Built by Rajendra Chola and, considered to be the greatest empire of India. This temple was the capital city of the Chola Empire for more than two centuries. Further, the Gangaikonda Cholapuram has been declared as one of UNESCO’s world heritage sites. The temple consists of beautiful temple carvings which attract visitors from all over the country. Therefore, the best time to visit the Gangaikonda Cholapuram is from November to January. Thus, it is one of the must-visit places in Thanjavur.
4. Shiva Ganga Garden
- Shiva Ganga Garden is located in Thanjavur in the state of Tamil Nadu. Built as a public garden under the reign of the Chola Dynasty. Further, there is a square tank located inside the Siva Garden which was built during the 16th century by rulers. This garden is very well maintained. It is famous for Picnic, Bird Watching, Garden, Scenic activities. The Shiva Ganga Garden is visited by more than hundreds of tourists every month. The best time to visit the park is from October to April. Thus, it is one of the most important places to visit in Thanjavur.
5. Vijayanagar Fort
- Vijaynagar Fort is located in Thanjavur in the state of Tamil Nadu. Constructed by the Nayaks Dynasty and then further expanded by Maratha rulers during the earlier 1550 AD. And the famous Shiva Ganga Gardens are also a part of the complex. This mesmerizing architecture attracts the people of Tamilnadu to visit it every year. Further, the fort also houses a Tanjore Palace, Sangeetha Mahal, Library, and an exquisite art gallery that includes many sculptures and paintings. Thus, it is one of the famous tourist spots to visit in Thanjavur.