Road Trips to Take from Mumbai
1. Lonavala/ Khandala
Lonavala is a hill station, located in the Pune district in the state of Maharashtra. Also known as the “city of caves” and the “Jewel of Sahyadri. Lonavala and Khandala are twin hill stations located near each other. Surrounded by green valleys, forests, waterfalls and, also famous for its natural wonders, religious attractions, and historical sites. Undoubtedly, Lonavala is a must-visit place in Maharashtra. However, Khandala is only 5 km away from Lonavala. Likewise, Khandala also houses a number of historic forts, deep valleys, lakes, and waterfalls. This place is best for various adventurous activities like trekking, hiking, camping, and more. Therefore, the roads from Mumbai to Lonavala/ Khandala are well maintained and look great in shape. Also, they have little traffic in peak hours. Thus, it is one of the most visited hill stations in Maharashtra.
- Distance: 85 km
- Best time to visit: June to September
- Places of attraction: Della Adventure Park, Tikona Fort, Narayani Dham Temple, Lohagad Fort, Pavana Lake, Rajmachi Fort, Visapur Fort, and Bedsa caves.
Alibaug is a small coastal town in the Konkan region in the state of Maharashtra. It is a pretty crowded destination on the Mumbai–Goa highway. This town got the nickname ‘Mini Goa’, because of the gorgeous sandy beaches, clean air and adventure water sports present here. There are many beaches like Alibag Beach, Akshi Beach, Mandwa Beach, and Varsoli Beach. More than hundreds of tourists visit this place every year. Therefore, it is one of the most popular places to visit near Mumbai.
- Distance: 95 km
- Best time to visit: November to March
- Places of attraction: Alibaug Beach, Nagaon Beach, Kanakeshwar Forest, Khanderi Fort, Murud Janjira Fort, Kihim Beach, Kolaba Fort, Akshi Beach, Mandwa Beach, and Water Sports in Alibaug.
Igatpuri is located in the Nashik district in the state of Maharashtra. This tiny hill station presents a splendid view in the monsoon season. It is mostly a single-day trip destination. However, it is popularly known for Vipassana International Academy. Further, hiking, trekking, photography, zip-lining, and Vipassana meditation are some of the famous things to do in Igatpuri. Hence, it is considered to be one of the most preferred weekend destinations for many people in Maharashtra.
- Distance: 120 km
- Best time to visit: June to February
- Places of attraction: Tringalwadi Fort, Vipassana Centre, Kalsubai Peak, Ghatandevi Mandir, Camel Valley, Vihigaon Waterfall, Vaitarna Dam, and Bhatsa River Valley.
Mahabaleshwar is a hill station, located in the state of Maharashtra. Situated at an altitude of 1439m above sea level. It is one of the most popular tourist destinations in India. Therefore, the best route is from Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar is through NH 4. This route will cover various beautiful places on the way, which include Pune, Surur, and Panchgani. The drive up the hill presents some amazing views. Further, Mahabaleshwar is famous for its strawberries. Also, you find tasty raspberries, jellies, honey, jams, and more. Thus, it is one of the Best Road Trips to Take from Mumbai.
- Distance: 265 km
- Best time to visit: March to June
- Places of attraction: Elephant’s Head Point, Pratapgad, Lingamala Falls, Chinaman’s falls, Dhobi Waterfall, Arthur’s seat, Mapro Garden, Lodwick Point, and Mahabaleshwar Temple.
Pune is a sprawling city in the state of Maharashtra. Also referred to it as the “Oxford and Cambridge of India.” It has long been a major educational and cultural center. The road trip from Mumbai through Mumbai–Pune Expressway passes through different terrains and offers a scenic view of the Western Ghats. And the long tunnels make this an amazing road trip from Mumbai. Thus, this road trip is always a rider’s dream ride.
- Distance: 145 km
- Best time to visit: October to February
- Places of attraction: Shaniwar Wada Palace, Vetal Tekdi, Pashan Lake, Parvati Hill, Aga Khan Palace, Shinde Chhatri, Osho Ashram, and Dagdusheth Halwai Ganapati temple.
Panchgani is a hill station, located in the state of Maharashtra. And also, popular for the Table Land. Situated at a height of 4500 feet above sea level. It was named after the five majestic hills enclosing it. Also known for its boarding schools established in the late 19th century. Panchgani makes for a renowned hill station in Maharashtra. However, Mahabaleshwar is like a twin city to Panchgani. This hill station is surrounded by misty mountains, serene valleys, cascading waterfalls, and dense forests. It is truly a paradise for tourists. Thus, it is one of the famous spots for bike trips in Maharashtra.
- Distance: 245 km
- Best time to visit: September to May
- Places of attraction: Kaas Plateau, Table Land, Mahabaleshwar, Kate’s Point, Mapro Garden, Dhom Dam, Lingmala Falls, Pratapgad Fort, and Panchgani Point.
Kashid is a beach village, located in Murud taluka in the state of Maharashtra, India. Situated between two rocky hillocks on the Alibaug–Murud road. This beach town is known also for its majestic mountains and whispering Casuarinas. The Kashid beach water is clean and has beautiful surroundings. Undoubtedly, Kashid is a perfect place to relax and enjoy the holidays. Thus, it is one of the best one-day road trip near Mumbai.
- Distance: 125 km
- Best time to visit: October to February
- Places of attraction: Kashid Beach, Murud Janjira Fort, Phansad Bird Sanctuary, Korlai Fort, Nandgaon Beach, and Revdanda Beach Fort.