Places to visit in Delhi
1. India Gate
- India Gate is located along the Rajpath in the New Delhi city, India. And also popularly known as the “All India War Memorial“. The India Gate is the national monument of India. However, this war Memorial was built in order to commemorate the 82,000 soldiers of the Indian Army who lost their lives during the First World War that happened from 1914 to 1921 as well as in the Third Anglo-Afghan War. Furthermore, this beautiful masterpiece is counted amongst the largest war memorials in India. And also it is called as Amar Jawan Jyoti (Flame of the Immortal Soldier), has since 1971 served as India’s tomb of the unknown soldier. Thus, it is one of the most visited places in India.
2. Humayun's tomb
- Humayun’s Tomb is located in Delhi, India. And it is the tomb of the Mughal Emperor Humayun. Built-in 1570, is of particular cultural significance as it was the first garden-tomb on the Indian subcontinent. Established in the memory of Humayun by his widow Bega Begam. And this structure was the first example of Mughal architecture in India. It was also the first structure to use red sandstone at such a scale. Further, Humayun’s tomb inspired several major architectural innovations, culminating in the construction of the Taj Mahal. Also, it featured in UNESCO’s World Heritage List in the year 1993. Thus, Humayun’s Tomb is one of the best places to visit in Delhi.
3. Red Fort
- The Red Fort or Lal Qila is a historic fort in the city of Delhi in India. It served as the main residence of the Mughal Emperors. Designated as UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2007 as part of the Red Fort Complex. The construction of the Red Fort started on 12 May 1638 by Emperor Shah Jahan. Later, he decided to shift his capital from Agra to Delhi. However, it was originally red and white, its design credits go to architect Ustad Ahmad Lahori, who also constructed the Taj Mahal. The fort represents the peak in Mughal architecture under Shah Jahan and combines Persianate palace architecture with Indian traditions. Further, every year on India’s Independence Day (15 August), the Prime Minister hoists the Indian tricolor flag at the fort’s main gate and delivers a nationally broadcast speech from its ramparts. Thus Red Fort is one of the most popular monuments in India and also a major tourist attraction in Delhi.
4. Qutub Minar
- The Qutb Minar is located in the Mehrauli area of New Delhi, India. It is a minaret and “victory tower” that forms part of the Qutb complex. Built in 1193 by Qutab-ud-din Aibak immediately after the defeat of Delhi’s last Hindu kingdom. Moreover, the main feature of it is the spiral staircase of 379 steps. Furthermore, Qutb Minar is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is made of red sandstone and marble making its height up to 73 meters and gives a tower-like structure to it which is consisted of five stories. Therefore, it is one of the most visited tourist spots in the city due to it being one of the earliest that survives in the Indian subcontinent. Thus, it is one of the amazing places to visit in Delhi.
5. Lotus Temple
- The Lotus Temple is located in Delhi city, India. And also, notable for its flowerlike shape. The construction of the temple finished in 1986. It has become a prominent attraction in the city. Like all Houses of Worship, the Lotus Temple is open to all, regardless of religion or any other qualification. The Lotus temple is one of the seven Baha’i House of Worship present around the world. It resembles the lotus flower but, created in white color. Moreover, the Lotus Temple has won numerous architectural awards and is also featured in many newspaper and magazine articles. Furthermore, the building is composed of 27 free-standing marble-clad “petals” arranged in clusters of three to form nine sides, with nine doors opening onto a central hall with a capacity of 2,500 people. Thus, it is one of the most beautiful places to visit in Delhi.