Places to visit in Kolkata
1. Victoria Memorial
- The Victoria Memorial is a large marble building in Central Kolkata. Built between 1906 and 1921 by the then Prince of Wales. It is dedicated to the memory of Empress Victoria, and now a museum under the auspices of the Ministry of Culture. Moreover it also houses paintings from the British Raj, along with artifacts, books, sculptures and manuscripts. Further, spread over 57 acres of land, housing 21 lush green gardens, 28,394 artifacts, and 3,900 paintings. This iconic structure attracts tourists from all over the world. The best time to visit Victoria Memorial is from October and March. Thus, it is one of the Best Places to visit in Kolkata.
2. Birla Planetarium
- The Birla Planetarium is located in Kolkata, West Bengal. Officially known as M. P. Birla Planetarium. It is a single – storeyed circular structure designed in the typical Indian style on the Buddhist Stupa. Moreover, it is the largest planetarium in Asia and the second largest planetarium in the world. The best fact is that it constantly upgraded to keep pace with modern technology. Further, it has an astronomy gallery that maintains a huge collection of paintings and celestial models of renowned astronomers. The Birla Planetarium is a great place to introduce astronomy to children. Thus, it is one of the amazing places to visit in Kolkata.
3. Howrah Bridge
- The Howrah Bridge is a balanced cantilever bridge over the Hooghly River in West Bengal. Also known as Rabindra Setu. It connects Howrah and Kolkata. Spreads about 1500 feet over the Hooghly River and is 71 feet wide. This bridge carries daily traffic of over 100,000 vehicles and countless pedestrians and is as historic as it is grand. The Howrah Bridge is one of the oldest hanging bridges in the world with no pillars supporting its suspension over the Hooghly River. It is the sixth longest bridge of its type in the world. Thus, it is of the top places to visit in Kolkata.
4. Indian Museum
- The Indian Museum is located in the Central Kolkata in the state of West Bengal. Also referred to as the Imperial Museum at Calcutta. The foundation of the Indian Museum laid down in the year 1814. Presently, the museum has 35 galleries which have been divided into six categories. It has rare collections of antiques, armour and ornaments, fossils, skeletons, mummies and Mughal paintings. Further, this gallery is often referred to as ‘Jadughar‘ by the locals of Kolkata. Therefore, it is the ninth oldest museum in the world, the oldest and largest museum in India. Thus, the Indian Museum is one of the Popular Places to visit in Kolkata.
5. Belur Math
- Belur Math is located on the west bank of Hooghly River, Belur, West Bengal. It is the headquarters of the Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission. This temple is notable for its architecture that fuses Hindu, Islamic, Buddhist, and Christian art and motifs as a symbol of unity of all religions. Belur Math is a perfect place to get away from the everyday hustle and bustle and calm your mind. It is visited by people from all over the world, irrespective of their religious beliefs. Thus, the tranquil surroundings and architectural creativity make this place a hotspot of Kolkata tourism.