Jammu and Kashmir
Road Trips to take in Jammu and Kashmir
Ladakh is a region administered by India as a union territory. Also known as the world’s coldest desert. It is an adventure playground for climbing, jeeps tours, rafting, and high-altitude trekking. Apart from this, it is also popular for its rich heritage and culture. The beautiful monasteries, picturesque locations, and interesting markets attract more than thousands of visitors from all over the world. Thus, it is one of the best road trip destinations in India.
- Distance: 418 km from Srinagar
- Best time to visit: April, June, or September
- Places to visit: Pangong Tso, Zanskar Valley, Changla Pass, Thiksey Monastery, Hemis National Park, Khardung La, Tso Moriri, Dras War Memorial, and Nubra Valley.
Gulmarg is a hill station, located in Kashmir. Also known as the “Meadow of Flowers”. Situated at the height of 2,650 meters above sea level. This place is a popular skiing destination and thus, an absolute delight for adventure seekers. It is adorned with snow-capped mountains, lush greenery, small lakes, and a large variety of beautiful flowers. Further, Gulmarg is reckoned to have the world’s second-highest golf course, which is situated at an altitude of 2650m. Thus, it is a must-visit place in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Distance: 52 km from Srinagar
- Best time to visit: March to June
- Places to visit: St. Mary’s Church, Gulmarg Gondola, Apharwat Peak, Alpather Lake, Outer Circle Walk, Ningle Nallah, Baba Reshi Shrine, and Maharani Temple.
Srinagar is located in Jammu and Kashmir, India. Also known as ‘Heaven on Earth‘. Situated at a height of 1,730 m above sea level. The city is famous for its natural surroundings, gardens, waterfronts, and houseboats. It offers breathtaking views and mesmerizing locations for tourists. It is known for many temples and mosques. You can also enjoy various adventurous activities like hiking, mountain biking, and rafting. Srinagar is also famous for the Kashmiri shawls, Kashmiri apples, and dried fruits from the Lal Chowk Market.
- Distance: 505 km from Manali
- Best time to visit: April to October
- Places to visit: Mughal Gardens, Kheer Bhawani Temple, Hari Parbat Fort, Pari Mahal, Tulip Gardens, Hazratbal Shrine, and Shankaracharya Temple.
Pahalgam is a town in Anantnag district in Jammu and Kashmir. Set at an altitude of 7,200 feet above sea level. Its natural surroundings, lush green meadows, dense trees, and pristine waters, attract thousands of tourists from all corners of the world every year. You can also involve in various adventure activities like hiking, trekking, and fishing. Thus, it is one of the popular tourist destinations in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Distance: 90 km from Srinagar
- Best time to visit: March to November
- Places to visit: Betaab Valley, Aru Valley, Baisaran, Tulian Lake, Kashmir Valley, Chandanwari, and Sheikhpora.
Sonmarg is a hill station located in the Ganderbal district of Jammu and Kashmir. Situated at an elevation of around 2800 km from sea level. It is home to a variety of peaks like Kolhoi Peak, Amarnath Peak, and Sirbal Peak. Sonamarg is surrounded by glaciers, forests, serene lakes, flowers, and snow-capped mountains. Therefore, it offers really beautiful views to the tourists. Further, this place is popular for trekking. Also, it was the gateway to the Silk Road connecting Kashmir with China. Thus, it is one of the Best Road Trips to take in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Distance: 80 km from Srinagar
- Best time to visit: April to June
- Places to visit: Thajiwas Glacier, Amarnath Cave, Satsar Lake, Baltal Valley, Naranag, Kishansar Lake, Vishansar Lake, and Gadsar Lake.
Patnitop is located in the Udhampur district of Jammu and Kashmir, India. Also known as the ‘Valley of Shepherds‘. It is famous for its scenic beauty and is the jewel of the picturesque Liddar valley located in the Himalayas. The endless meadows and panoramic views of the snow-capped mountains of the Himalayas offer mesmerizing views to the tourists. You can also indulge in various adventure activities like paragliding, trekking, skiing, and so on. Thus, it is an ideal picnic spot in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Distance: 185 km from Srinagar
- Best time to visit: September to October
- Places to visit: Nathatop, Patnitop Circular Road, Sanasar Lake, Naag Mandir, Chenani-Nashri Tunnel, Sudh Mahadev, and Baglihar Dam.