Places to visit in Madurai
1. Madurai Meenakshi Amman Temple
- Madurai Meenakshi Amman Temple is a historic Hindu temple located in the temple city of Madurai, Tamil Nadu. Also known as Meenakshi Sundareshwarar Temple. Constructed by Kulasekara Pandya and, dedicated to the Parvati, known as Meenakshi, and her spouse, Shiva. Also, mentioned in the songs sung by the ancient saints as early as the 7th century. The most amazing feature of Meenakshi Amman Temple is its 14 majestic gopurams, displaying intricate carvings. Therefore, it is one of the oldest and most important temples in India. Further, the thousand pillar hall is one of the amazing works in the temple that is famous for its architectural brilliance. Thousands of pilgrims visit every day, who come here to seek blessings and admire its overwhelming beauty. Thus, it is one of the Best Tourist Places to visit in Madurai.
2. Vaigai Dam
- The Vaigai Dam is built across the Vaigai River near Andipatti, in the Theni district of the state, Tamil Nadu. The dam with a height of 111 feet can store 71 feet of water. Moreover, it is a lifeline for the people of Madurai, Theni, and Dindigul. Further, it neighbors a little garden known as the ‘Little Brindavan’, a favorite amongst tourists and kids. The soft and warm sunrises by the reservoir are worth experiencing. The best time to visit Vaigai Dam is during the monsoon. Thus, this man-made marvel is also listed among the top tourist places to visit in Madurai.
3. Thirumalai Nayakkar Palace
- Thirumalai Nayak Palace is located in the city of Madurai, Tamil Nadu. Built-in the 16th century and is a classic fusion of Italian and Rajput architectural styles featuring majestic pillars and brilliant work done on its domes and arches. The palace, divided into two sections – Swarga Vilasam and Ranga Vilasam. The interior of the palace, decorated in Shaivite and Vaishnavite themes, with the Darbar hall and the Natakasala being prime attractions of the Thirumalai Nayak Mahal. After Independence, this palace is a national monument and continues to be one of the spectacular monuments of Southern India. More than thousands of tourist come to visit this beautiful palace every year. Thus, it is one of the popular places to visit in Madurai.
4. Gandhi Memorial Museum
- Gandhi Memorial Museum is located in the city of Madurai in Tamil Nadu. Established in the year 1959 and, also known as Gandhi Museum. It is a memorial museum for Gandhi and one of the five Gandhi Sanghralayas in the country. The exhibits at the museum take you through Gandhi’s pre-independence struggle and include photos, manuscripts, and other significant articles. Special collections include historical stamps of British ruled India and letters written to and by Mahatma Gandhi. The ‘Hall of Relics’ preserves some original and replicas of Gandhi’s personal belongings.
- Further, it also displays a part of the blood-stained dhoti of Mahatma Gandhi from the day of his assassination. Therefore, Gandhi Memorial Museum in Madurai comes under the Peace Museums Worldwide selected by the United Nations Organization (UNO). Thus, it is one of the famous tourists places in Madurai.
5. Samanar Hills
- Samanar Hills, is a rocky stretch of hills located near Keelakuyilkudi village, in the west of Madurai city, Tamil Nadu. Also known as Samanar Malai or Amanarmalai or Melmalai. The inscriptions on the hills are said to be more than 200 years old. Further, these caves were the homes of many Jain monks during the ancient era. The hilltop offers a splendid view of Madurai city and also you can get a perfect sunrise or sunset view. A natural fountain that is ancient is found here and it is called Pechchi Pallam. More than hundreds of travelers come to visit this place every year. Thus, the caves of the Samanar hills are one of the popular places of tourism.