Snowfall in India
10 Best Places to See Snowfall in India
- Shimla is located in the state of Himachal Pradesh. Situated at an altitude of 2200m above sea level. Home to a number of buildings that are styled in the Tudorbethan and neo-Gothic architectures. Apart from being a tourism center, this city is also an educational hub with a number of colleges and research institutions. When it comes to winter getaways, Manali is the best choice for vacation. The places of attraction are Jakhu Temple, The Mall, Kalka – Shimla Railway, Viceregal Lodge, and The Ridge. The rolling valleys, evergreen forests, beautiful lakes, pleasant climate, and colonial ambiance make this one of the best places to visit in Himachal Pradesh. Therefore, the best time to visit Shimla is March to June.
- Pahalgam is a town in Anantnag district in Jammu and Kashmir. Set at an altitude of 7,200 feet above sea level. It serves as the base for Amarnath Yatra, one of the most important pilgrimages in India. Its natural surroundings, lush green meadows, dense trees, and pristine waters, attract thousands of tourists from all corners of the world every year. The other places of attraction are Betaab Valley, Aru Valley, Baisaran, Tulian Lake, Kashmir Valley, Chandanwari, and Sheikhpora. You can also involve in various adventure activities like hiking, trekking, and fishing. Therefore, the best time to visit Pahalgam is from March to November.
- Auli is located in Chamoli district in the Himalayan mountains of the state Uttarakhand. Also known as Auli Bugyal. Situated at a height of 2,800 meters above sea level. The cold winds, vast snow-covered landscape, majestic mountains, all add up to make Auli a skier’s paradise. Further, it is the longest and highest hill station in the whole of Asia and also offers magnificent views of the Himalayan peaks. It is one of the best places when it comes to enjoying snowfall in the winter season as well as enjoying skiing. The places of attraction are Auli Artificial Lake, Nanda Devi Peak, Auli Ropeway, Gurso Bugyal, Joshimath, ski resort, and Chenab Lake. Therefore, the best time to visit Auli is from January to April.
- Manali is a tourist town in the Kullu district of Himachal Pradesh. It is a popular tourist destination in India. Also, serves as the gateway to the Lahaul and Spiti district as well as the city of Leh. It has many trekking options around it and also makes a great base for exploring this side of the Himalayas. Further, it offers various adventure activities including skiing, paragliding, trekking, and horse-riding. Thus, Manali is one of the most attractive tourist spots not only in Himachal Pradesh but also in the world. Therefore, the best time to visit Manali is from October to March.
5. North Sikkim
- North Sikkim is located in the state of Sikkim. The surrounding landscape is filled with mountains with dense vegetation. There are many amazing waterfalls which makes this district extremely picturesque. The top attractions in North Sikkim are Gurudongmar Lake, Seven Sisters Waterfall, Yumthang Valley, Bhim Nala Falls, Lachung, Lachung Monastery, and Cholamu Lake. Therefore, the best time to visit North Sikkim is from May to September. Thus, it is one of the 10 Best Places to See Snowfall in India.
- Ladakh is a union territory in the Kashmir region of India. Also known as the world’s coldest desert. It is a great tourist attraction because of its misty hills, valleys, beautiful monasteries, picturesque locations, and interesting markets. It is an adventure playground for climbing, jeeps tours, rafting, and high-altitude trekking. Apart from this, Manali is also popular for its rich heritage and culture. Some of the best places to visit in Ladakh are Pangong Tso, Hemis National Park, Khardung La, Tso Moriri, Zanskar Valley, Changla Pass, Thiksey Monastery, Dras War Memorial, and Nubra Valley. Therefore, the Best months to visit Ladakh are April, June, or September.
- Sonmarg is a hill station located in the Ganderbal district of Jammu and Kashmir, India. Set at an elevation of around 2800 km from sea level. And home to a variety of peaks like Kolhoi Peak, Amarnath Peak, and Sirbal Peak. This place is popular for trekking. Its landscape is marked by a glacier, forests, serene lakes, and snow-capped mountains. The top sightseeing attractions are Thajiwas Glacier, Satsar Lake, Baltal Valley, Naranag, Kishansar Lake, Amarnath Cave, Vishansar Lake, and Gadsar Lake. It is covered with tons of snow in the peak winters and gives a beautiful sight to see and experience. Also, home to the famous three sisters namely the Lidder, Sind, and the Neelum rivers. Therefore, the best time to visit Sonmarg is from November to April.
- Gulmarg is a hill station, located in Kashmir, India. Also known as the “Meadow of Flowers”. Situated at the height of 2,650 meters above sea level. It is reckoned to have the world’s second-highest golf course, which is situated at an altitude of 2650m. This 18-hole golf course spreads over an area of 7505 yards. Further, in Gulmarg snow has a very important role to play for skiers visiting from around the world. This place is a popular skiing destination and thus, an absolute delight for adventure seekers. The top attractions to visit here are St. Mary’s Church, Outer Circle Walk, Gulmarg Gondola, Apharwat Peak, Alpather Lake, and Maharani Temple. Therefore, the best time to visit Gulmarg is from December to March. Thus, it is one of the best skiing destinations and snowfall places to visit in India.
- Nainital is a popular hill station, located in the state of Uttarakhand, India. Set at an altitude of around 2,000 m above sea level. The majestic mountains, misty clouds, sparkling waters lake add more beauty to this town. This hill station is popular among families and solo travelers. However, Nainital is the best place to go when people want to experience snowfall without facing the harsh climate temperatures in India. Further, it is surrounded by seven hills, popularly known as ‘Sapta Shring’. The famous tourist attractions are Nainital Lake, Tiffin Top, Naina Peak, The Mall Road, Bhimtal Lake, High Altitude Zoo, Lands End, Kainchi Dham. It experiences a pleasant climate throughout the year. Therefore, the best time to visit Nainital is from October to March.
- Patnitop is located in the Udhampur district of Jammu and Kashmir, India. The endless meadows and panoramic views of the snow-capped mountains of the Himalayas offer mesmerizing views to the tourists. It also offers various adventure activities like paragliding, trekking, skiing, and so on. You can also take a refreshing bath in any one of the three natural freshwater springs, which are thought to have medicinal properties. This paragliding destination becomes better with the large expansion of snow in the winter season when people also indulge in snowboarding and skiing activities. The top sightseeing attractions in Patnitop are Nathatop, Patnitop Circular Road, Sanasar Lake, Naag Mandir, Chenani-Nashri Tunnel, Sudh Mahadev, and Baglihar Dam. Therefore, the best time to visit Patnitop is from December to March.