Best Road Trip Places in Kerala
1.Munnar to Anaimalai hills
Anaimalai hills, mountain range in the Western Ghats in the state of Tamil Nadu. And often called “The Elephant Mountain” are home to the Anamalai Wildlife Sanctuary. Further, the beautiful uphill road gives you a wonderful experience of traveling for lifetime. Moreover, the Anaimalai Hills are also a popular trekking destination in the Western Ghats. Therefore, it is one of the Best Road Trip Places in Kerala.
- Best time to visit Anaimalai Hills is between June and September.
- Distance: 120 km
- Places to visit: Indira Gandhi Wildlife Sanctuary (Anamalai Sanctuary), Thoonakkadavu Lake, Parambikulam Sanctuary, and Varagaliar Elephant Camp.
2. Wayanad to Madikeri
Madikeri is a hill station town, located in Kodagu district in the state of Karnataka. Known for greenery, hills, weather, rich flora & fauna, lush forests and coffee plantations. And also offers most beautiful view of the surrounding hills. Hence, the best route to take would be Kalpetta – Mananthavady – Tholpetty – Gonikoppal – Madikeri. Thus, it is one of the popular tourist destinations in the Karnataka state.
- Best time to visit Madikeri in the monsoon is in July-September.
- Distance: 132 km
- Places to visit: Iruppu Falls, Abbey Falls, Talacauvery, Raja’s Seat, Trekking in Madikeri, Kote betta, Madikeri fort.
3. Valparai to Athirapally
Athirapally located in the Trissur district in the state of Kerala. Moreover, it is famous for its majestic waterfalls and enchanting rain forests. Often called as the “Niagra of South India”. Further, this place is popular among the nature lovers. The picturesque spot attracts more than thousand of visitors for years with their stunning and beautiful view. Hence, the route from Valparai to Athirapally passes through the Idamalayar Reserve Forest. Therefore, Athirapally is one of the best places to visit in Kerala.
- Best time to visit Athirapally is between March-May, June – October, and November – February.
- Distance: 85 km
- Places to visit: Athirappilly Falls, Vazhachal Falls, Charpa Waterfall, Thumboormuzhi Dam & Garden, and Sholayar Dam.
4. Kumily to Suryanelli
Suryanelli is a resort town in the Chinnakanal village in the Idukki district in the state of Kerala. In addition, you will be able to see the vast expanse of agricultural land and the cultivation of crops on this route. And also there are many nearby places that one can visit while staying here. Hence, the best route to take would be Kumily- Ramakkalmedu- Chathurangapara- Suryanelli.
- Best time to visit suryanelli is between October and February.
- Distance: 92 km
- Places to visit: Town Kerala – Munnar, Kolukkumalai Sunrise, Kolukkumalai Tea Estate, Tea Gardens, Eravikulam National Park, and Kundala Dam Lake.
Kuttanad is a region covering the Alappuzha, Kottayam, and Pathanamthitta Districts, in the state of Kerala. Also called as the “Rice Bowl of Kerala” as it is well known for its vast paddy fields. Further, the farmers of Kuttanad are famous for Biosaline Farming. Hence, this makes it one of the most scenic places in the state with mesmerizing views and quaint villages everywhere. Hence, the best route to take would be Nedumudy- Thakazhi- Kavalam- Kannady – Thakazhi. Thus, it is a must-visit place in Kerala.
- Best time to visit the enchanting Kuttanad backwaters is between August and March.
- Distance: 87 Km
- Places to visit: Punnamada Lake, Pampa (Pamba) River, Edathua Church, Thottappally Spillway.
6. Kottayam to Vagamon
Vagamon is a hill station located in the Kottayam- Idukki border of the state, Kerala. Moreover, Kuttanad is called the “rice bowl of Kerala “ because of its wealth of paddy crops. Further, Vagamon is a most beautiful picnic spot as attracts large of number of tourists every year. And also famous for various adventure activities like trekking, paragliding, and rock climbing. Hence, this ride is truly fantastic, with lots of greenery, mist, and beautiful views.
- Best time to visit Vagamon is between March and June.
- Distance: 67 km
- Places to visit: Vagamon Kurisumala, Barren Hills, Pine Forest, The Pattumalai Church, Lake, and Idukki Dam.
7. Trivandrum to Kollam
Kollam is a city, located in the state of Kerala, India. It has many peaceful and scenic places for tourists to offer as it is located on the banks of Ashtamudi Lake. Kollam is also famous for various modern industries like cashew nut processing and research, fisheries etc. Further, it is the largest processed cashew exporter in India. Therefore, the eight-hour boat trip between Kollam and Alappuzha is the longest exhilarating experience on the backwaters of Kerala.
- Best time to visit Kollam is between October and March.
- Distance: 64 km
- Places to visit: Jatayu Earth’s Center, Thangassery Light House, Palaruvi Falls, Sasthamkotta Lake, R P Mall, Kollam Beach, Ashtamudi Lake, Thirumullavaram Beach, and Papanasam Beach.
8. Munnar to Thekkady
Thekkady is a town near Periyar National Park, located in the Kerala state of India. Moreover, it is a true paradise for wildlife and nature lovers and is one of the best tourist attractions to visit in Kerala. Hence, the drive from Munnar to Thekkady is filled with stunning landscapes, green hill slopes, and tea production lines. Thus, it is one of the popular weekend destinations in Kerala.
- Best time to visit Thekkady is between October and February.
- Distance: 91 km
- Places to visit: Periyar National Park, Periyar Tiger Trail, Bamboo Rafting, Thekkady Lake, Border Hiking, Green Park Ayurvedic & Spices Plantation, Chellarkovil.
9. Chalakudy to Valparai
Valparai is a hill station in the state of Tamil Nadu. Originally known as Poonachimalai. Moreover, this hill station set at an elevation of 4,500 feet above sea level. However, the Chalakudy to Valpara is a very scenic drive running through the Sholayar Reserve Forest, in India. And also, the road is absolutely stunning and it crosses a thick deciduous forest, tea plantations, and the famous Athirapally waterfall. Therefore, it is a most preferred road trip by families as well as solo travelers.
- Best time for the Bike Ride from Chalakudy to Valparai is between June – September.
- Distance: 88 km
- Places to visit: Sholayar Dam, Aliyar Dam, Nallamudi Viewpoint, Loam’s View Point, Indira Gandhi Wildlife Sanctuary and National Park, Tea Estate Garden.
10. Kochi to Alappuzha
Alleppey or Alappuzha, is located in the state of Kerala. Often termed the “Venice of the East”. Further, this town is among the oldest planned towns in India. And also, famous for its several backwater canals, beaches, a network of tranquil canals paddy fields, and lagoons. Hence, this is one of the prime attractions that pull visitors to the place is the stay at houseboats. Thus, it is one of the most popular places to visit in Kerala.
- Best time to visit Allepey is between November to February as the weather is mild and pleasant.
- Distance: 62 km
- Places to visit: Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary, Vembanad Lake, Mannarasala Temple, St. Andrew’s Forane Church, Stay in Houseboat, Marari Beach, and Alappuzha Beach.