Best Short Road Trips from Chennai
Yelagiri hill station is located in the district of Vellore. Then it is also known as trekker’s paradise. However there is a wide range of things to do at Yelagiri hill station. Hence it is ideal for a peaceful holiday away from city life. People can visit throughout the year. And also, it is one of the Best Short Road Trips from Chennai.
- Best time to visit: November to mid-February.
- Distance from Chennai: 230 km
- Places to visit: Punganur Lake, Nature Park, Jalagamparai Falls, Telescope Observatory, Swami Malai Hills, Yelagiri adventure camp.
Pondicherry also called Pondy, is one of the seven Union Territories of India which is bounded by the southern state of Tamil Nadu. And it is known for Aurobindo Ashram and Auroville attracting thousands of tourists to explore this beautiful city. Hence, the most popular driving route from Chennai to Pondicherry runs along the Bay of Bengal coastline. Also, there are plenty of places to visit in Pondicherry.
- Best time to visit: October and March.
- Distance from Chennai: 170 km
- Places to visit: Paradise Beach, Aurobindo Ashram, Auroville, Serenity Beach, Arikamedu, lighthouse, Rock Beach, Varadaraja Perumal Temple, Meeran Mosque.
Mahabalipuram, also known as Mamallapuram, is a town in Chengalpattu district in the state of Tamil Nadu. Moreover, it is best known for the UNESCO World Heritage Site of 7th- and 8th-century Hindu Group of Monuments at Mahabalipuram. And it is one of the famous tourist sites in India. The drive from Chennai to Mahabalipuram through ECR (East Coast Road) is absolutely stunning. And also, it is an important place of classical Monuments in India, the monolithic and cave temples. However, it attracts a large number of visitors from all over the world.
- Best time to visit: November to February.
- Distance from Chennai: 57 km
- Places to visit: Monuments at Mahabalipuram, Shore Temple, Pancha Rathas, Arjuna’s Penance, Krishna’s Butter Ball.
Ooty is a popular hill station located in the Nilgiri Hills. And also, local residents call it “Queen of Hills“. Whereas the distance from Chennai to Ooty is 555.8 km that takes about 9 hours and 45 minutes, depending on the traffic on the highway. And the tea gardens, waterfalls, winding country lanes, botanical gardens, and charming colonial architecture makes Ooty the perfect respite for everyone. Thus, it is one of the most visited places in Tamil Nadu.
- Best time to visit: March and June.
- Distance from Chennai: 556 km
- Places to visit: Avalanche Lake, Pykara Falls, Doddabetta Peak, Lake, Botanical Gardens, Toy Train, Tea Museum, Mudumalai National Park, Needle Rock view-point.
5. Kolli Hills
Kolli Hills or Kolli Malai is a small mountain range located in the state of Tamil Nadu. Then it is famous for its natural beauty. Moreover, the Mountain is named Kolli Malai after the name of Goddess Ettukkai Amman (also known as Kollipavai) guarding the hills with her divine protection. And also, it is a well-known pepper growing regions. Hence, the best route to take is from Salem – Rasipuram – Kolli Hills. The range is famous because of 70 hairpin bends.
- Best time to visit: March-June or August-December.
- Distance: 62 km
- Places to visit: Siddhar Caves, Masilla falls, and Namma Falls, Selur viewpoint, Agaya Gangai Waterfalls, Arapaleeshwarar Temple, Boat House, Botanical Gardens.