Road Trips To Take From Pondicherry
Chennai is the capital city of the state of Tamil Nadu. Earlier known as Madras. The city is home to Thousand Lights Mosque, Fort St. George, Guindy National Park, and so on. It is a beautiful city serving as the gateway to the south of India. From the famous Marina Beach to roadside mouth-watering foods, Chennai has almost everything for travelers. It is one of the most common weekend trips among people. It takes nearly three hours to drive from Pondy. Thus, it is one of the Best Road Trips To Take From Pondicherry.
- Distance: 166 km
- Best time to visit: October to February
- Places to visit: Marina Beach, Government Museum, MGR Film City, Kapaleeshwarar Temple, Breezy Beach, Marundeeswarar Temple, and Arignar Anna Zoological Park.
Mahabalipuram is located in Chengalpattu district in the state of Tamil Nadu. Also known as Mamallapuram. It is one of the famous tourist sites in India. Also best known for the UNESCO World Heritage Site of 7th- and 8th-century Hindu Group of Monuments at Mahabalipuram. Therefore, the roads from Pondicherry to Mahabalipuram is absolutely stunning and also well maintained. On the way, you can see the beautiful beach, Five Rathas, and the Shore temple. Another important attraction is the Krishna’s Butterball, which is a huge natural rock that rests on a hillside. Thus, it attracts more than thousands of visitors every year.
- Distance: 95 km
- Best time to visit: November to February
- Places to visit: Monuments at Mahabalipuram, Arjuna’s Penance, Krishna’s Butter Ball, Shore Temple, and Pancha Rathas.
Yercaud is a hill station town in the state of Tamil Nadu. It is known for their orange groves, and coffee, fruit, and spice plantations. Yercaud is a great getaway where pristine nature and fresh air prevails. Further, it is a good place for trekkers and nature lovers. The surrounding hills give a mesmerizing view. Thus, it is one of the popular road trip places from Pondicherry.
- Distance: 250 km
- Best time to visit: October to June
- Places to visit: Loop Road, Pagoda Point, Yercaud Lake, Big Lake, Shevaroy Temple, Montfort School, Kiliyur Falls, Kottachedu Teak Forest, Bears Cave, and Rose Garden.
4. Tranquebar (Tharangambadi)
Tranquebar is a beautiful town in the state of Tamil Nadu. Also known as Tharangambadi. This village boasts a significant concentration of Danish architecture. It is a beautiful cultural and architectural mix of a range of different colonies. There are many interesting places to visit here. Therefore, the best route to take would be Pondicherry- Cuddalore – Tranquebar. Thus, Tranquebar is perfect to visit as part of a weekend trip from Pondicherry.
- Distance: 120 km
- Best time to visit: December to March
- Places to visit: Danish Museum, Fort Dansborg, Parade Ground, Masilamani Nathar temple, The Town Gate, and Old Danish Cemetery.
Munnar is a popular hill station, located in the state of Kerala. Also known as the ‘Kashmir of South India‘. Situated at an altitude of 1600 meters above sea level. Further, it is famous for its tea estates, mesmerizing viewpoints, misty hills, and forests full of exotic plants. Also, tourists can indulge in various adventure activities boating, trekking, and paragliding. The best route to take is, Pondicherry- Yercaud- Tirupur- Pollachi- Munnar. Thus, Munnar is a proper tourist hub with resorts and activities that have attracted visitors for decades.
- Distance:458 km
- Best time to visit: March to June, July to September, or November to February
- Places to visit: Eravikulam National Park, TATA Tea Museum, Photo Point, Kundala Dam & Lake, Attukal Waterfalls, Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary, Marayoor, Wonder Valley Amusement Park, Pothamedu View Point, and Echo Point.