Best Road Trip Places in North India
1. Manali to Leh
Ladakh is a region administered by India as a union territory. It constitutes a part of the larger Jammu and Kashmir regions. Also known as the world’s coldest desert. Further, it is an adventure playground for climbing, jeeps tours, rafting, and high-altitude trekking. Apart from this, it is also a land that is popular for its rich heritage and culture. The largest town in Ladakh is Leh. And it is a great tourist attraction because of its beautiful monasteries, picturesque locations, and interesting markets. Thus, it is one of the best road trip places in North India.
- Distance: 472 km
- Best time to visit: April, June, or September
- Places to visit: Pangong Tso, Hemis National Park, Khardung La, Tso Moriri, Zanskar Valley, Changla Pass, Thiksey Monastery, Dras War Memorial, and Nubra Valley.
2. Delhi to Dehradun
Dehradun is located in the Doon Valley on the foothills of the Himalayas nestled between Song river, a tributary of Ganga on the east, and the Asan river, a tributary of Yamuna on the west. Then, it has a pleasant climate almost throughout the year. However, it is well connected to Himalayan tourist destinations such as Mussoorie, Dhanaulti, Chakrata, New Tehri, Uttarkashi and so on. Further, it is famous for summer and winter hiking destinations like the Valley of Flowers at Dodital, Dayara Bugyal, Kedarkantha, Har Ki Dun, and Hemkunt Sahib for camping and Himalayan panoramic views. Thus, it is one of the best one-day bike trip destinations.
- Distance: 275 km
- Best Time to Visit: March to June
- Places to visit: Mindrolling Monastery, Robber’s Cave, Sahastradhara, Malsi Deer Park, Tapkeshwar Temple, and Tiger Falls.
3. Jaipur to Jaisalmer
Jaisalmer is located in the state of Rajasthan. And it is in the heart of the Thar Desert. It is a former medieval trading center and a princely state in western Indian. The goldsmiths of Jaisalmer are particularly known for their skills in carving out beautiful pieces of silver jewelry. And also known as the “Golden City” due to its yellow sandstone architecture. On this road trip, you can experience a lot of things. Thus, Jaisalmer is a major tourist spots in India. Therefore, it is one of the best road trip places from Rajasthan.
- Distance: 560 km
- Best time to visit: November to March
- Places to visit: Jaisalmer Fort, Desert National Park, Longewala War Memorial, Tanot Mata Temple, Jain Temples, Kuldhara Village, and Kothari’s Patwaon-Ki-Haveli.
4. Shimla to Manali
Manali is a resort and tourist town in the mountains of Himachal Pradesh, India. Shimla to Manali road trip is quite scenic and picturesque with river Beas flowing along the way. It makes a perfect background for your memorable pictures. Further, the enchanted mountains, deep valleys, tall trees, misty mountains, dense forest offer stunning views, making the journey more enjoyable. Thus, the road trip from Shimla to Manali is perhaps one of the Best Road Trip Destinations in India.
- Distance: 237 km
- Best time to visit: October to February
- Places of attraction: Solang Valley, Manikaran Gurudwara, Jogini Waterfall, Hidimba Devi Temple, and Beas River.
5. Mumbai to Pune
Pune is a sprawling city in the state of Maharashtra. It has long been a major educational and cultural center. And also former Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru referred to it as the “Oxford and Cambridge of India.” Moreover, many youngsters near Mumbai enjoy this as a weekend trip. Therefore, the road trip from Mumbai through Mumbai – Pune Expressway offers a scenic view of the Western Ghats and the long tunnels make this an amazing road trip from Mumbai. Thus, Pune is one of the best places to visit in India.
- The best time to visit is from October to February.
- Distance: 148 km
- Places to visit: Shaniwar Wada Palace, Parvati Hill, Aga Khan Palace, Vetal Tekdi, Pashan Lake, Shinde Chhatri, Osho Ashram, and Dagdusheth Halwai Ganapati temple.